Spring Break: Relaxation, Crochet, Tchotchkes

Spring Break started on the heels of the exit of our second Literati Book Fair (we did soooooo well, again!) and a week of can-we-make-it energy.  Thankfully, I was able to get lesson planning done along with the completion of some book processing, repairs, and shelf adjustments before leaving the library and our school for the week in order to spend all of spring break locally. 

I sprang forward, visited the dentist, got some labwork taken care of, and then decided to revisit my crafting goals list.  Would I teach myself some basic beading? Crochet a wearable OTHER than a scarf, shawl, or cowl? Papercraft?  With the help of The Teenager (also on break), I spent a few hours in and around Kansas City twice during the break, visiting craft stores, antique malls, and eating out. He also braved driving a few times which makes him nervous while me not so much because I can see how focused he is as he practices. We did a lot of laundry, threw the cats and dog for a loop by being home all week, and stayed cozy-warm while spring came in like a bipolar lion, raining-snowing, snowing-raining, thundering-freezing, thawing-blowing, sunshine-snowing, and finally, today, chilly-shining.  We had cake for St. Patrick's Day, remembered Joel, and thought of our dear friends who were observing yet another anniversary of his passing. I looked through family photos and decided which ones I wanted to frame, and which need to be copied and placed into albums. I was grateful that so many of them made me smile. 

After watching beading tutorials I realized that I needed some basic supplies, while after watching some crochet sweater tutorials I acknowledged that I had everything I needed within arm's reach, so I started and finished my very first "Granny Hexagon Cardigan" sweater as I followed along with this video from Craft and a Cuppa.  Talk about intense satisfaction! 


No need for buttons or pockets and made with single and double crochet stitches, I double-stranded the whole thing (like I do for so many of my afghans), and was done in a little over a day. It was so much fun to make that I decided to make another:


... and then another:


... and yes, I've started a fourth. They're addictive! I plan to add some pockets and other crochet appliques in the future, and of course, making some for littles as I think they'd be adorable!  I DID purchase a beginner's beading kit, some thick felt and stiffening paper, and a beginner's beading loom so I'll be ready when my next big urge to start something new hits.  

My antique mall finds include some book-related artwork, spring bunnies (and a winter Bunnies by the Bay, my favorite thanks to Karen's late mother, Ginny), an Easter postcard, a vintage Vera Bradley Christmas purse, and blingy picture frames.



That's me with my grandmother in Washington, D.C. in the early 70's.


My sweet girl who is a strength and conditioning coach at Bethune-Cookman University.


I've yet to find the perfect photo for this frame, but I've got plenty of options should I decide to copy and resize them. I like frames that look like pieces of jewelry collage.

The Teenager went through his room and found books to donate, I found some at local thrift shops that I know we've needed new copies of in the library, and I finished weaving in all the ends on a pastel and white springtime afghan/lapghan.  All without having to iron clothes once. 


It's back to work tomorrow, with a quarter remaining in the school year. Students will be testing, so at least during their visit to the library they'll be exploring STEM center materials freely, relaxing and reading, and leisurely reviewing what we've already shared so far. I've got more re-cataloging and organizational fine-tuning to take care of before end-of-the-year inventory has to begin, and I'd like to clean up our catalog by deleting all items considered "lost" for more than two years so I can submit my replacement request to admin and catalog and shelve books before summer vacation begins. Most of our families move after a year with us, so there's no need to wait for five or six years to see if the books will magically reappear. Despite my emergency surgery last fall, this school year's pace and my energy and attitude have remained remarkably in sync: it's been such an improvement over last year, and certainly better than three spring breaks ago, when we all had to leave our classrooms and schools for the remainder of the year.

*****

As for today, I'll be back to ironing clothes for the workweek, and deciding on which nail polish to choose for this afternoon's mani and pedi.  Once back to work, I'll be glad to see my students again, and get back into our groove. I'm also looking forward to leaving my news app screen open all day (in my office, away from students) on Tuesday, or whichever day... from what I hear, it may be historic


Comments

Popular Posts