October in the Library

 It's FINALLY October!


Leaves are changing rapidly here in Kansas, colder weather and strong winds are making them fall to the ground, and I am enjoying being able to layer clothing so that I can be comfortable throughout the entire day, rather than overheating and then melting.  Summer heat has never been, and will likely never be for me.

Students and staff have been enjoying our library and putting so much of it to good use, and as usual, front-facing books (also known as "dynamic shelving") have really caught the attention of even the most reluctant reader.  Using dust jackets on bulletin boards helps too, as third, fourth, and fifth-grade students pass by our hallway display several times for recess daily.






I absolutely reused our school mascot and sign that greeted students from behind my circulation desk last year.  It's been here since August and has simplified things a LOT for me when it comes to updating this board.  Thanks, Brad!

The glass display case has been Octobered up with books from my own collection (we have copies of many in the library) which provides more visual interest as younger students learn how to request books on different topics. "Mrs. Sommerville!  Do you have that witch and broom book? I want it!" Yes, my friend, I do!


Some students and families enjoy fall without observing Halloween, so some scarecrows and autumn bunting have been included in the mix.  Our international students learn so much about our country during their year with us, and explore our celebrations with interest.  Thankfully, they share much about their own homes and cultures, too.


STUCO has invited students and staff to dress as their favorite story characters at the end of the month, which I'm really looking forward to seeing!  I imagine I'll be checking out many books that week so students can carry a copy with them as they show off their costumes!

Comments

Popular Posts