Librarian Adventures: My First Book Fair

I had just finished my graduate program when the pandemic hit and along with the loss of assemblies, programs and cozy classroom environments, we were no longer able to host in-person book fairs. As my library funding depends upon the profit of book sales, I've had little to no budget to buy books and in-processing or book repair materials.  Just as I did for twenty-five years as a kindergarten teacher, a significant portion of my own paycheck has gone toward growing our collection and making our library more inviting for the past year. Yes, I find it excruciatingly disappointing and inappropriate.  No, the situation isn't likely to change anytime soon. No, I won't be reimbursed.

Moving on.

This year we're able to offer in-person book fairs, thankfully, and I've opted to give Literati a whirl.  Let me tell you... it's looking g-o-o-d. Instead of asking volunteers to install walls and walls of thematic decor throughout the building, I kept things VERY simple and arranged the rolling book crates and tabletop displays in our library (after shifting some instructional tables and a couch) and added some simple lettering, pennants and tissue paper balls to draw attention in the hallway. Students drew pictures of their favorite books or characters, too.




Literati's promotional description stated that setup would take an hour, and the company didn't lie! Books were delivered already shelved within the crates and boxes along with the signage. All I had to do was roll the cases into place, raise the lids and straighten the books.  NICE!  Blank journals and pens, pencils, and erasers are included as writing center items, and some cute posters for decor round out the items for sale.  No pointers, slap bracelets, or other junky items.  You. Know. What. I. Mean.









Parent volunteers are jumping feet-first into this adventure with me for which I am grateful, making it possible for multiple adults to be available to help students explore books and purchase according to their budget.  The sales registers include a cash box, card reader/display screen and tablet with an intuitive design- anyone comfortable with an iPad or phone will catch on quickly. Teachers visited to create their wish lists and their responses were wonderful! Ooohs, aaaaahs, giggles and laughter... seriously, books make everything better. So does a 20% discount for teachers and volunteers!

*****

Two drawbacks that I've noticed so far:

No Mo Willems books.  

A book about the Netflix Series "Stranger Things" includes the word "Bitchin'" (since Elle says it) which fifth-grade boys discovered L-O-U-D-L-Y. Sigh.

Otherwise, so far so good.

Comments

Popular Posts