Oooh, Shiny!

 I'll admit it: I was one of those kids who loved visiting the library to check out books after discovering new-to-me treasures alongside my already established favorites.

And I'll admit something else: books with clear, shiny book protector covers that made a nice sharp crinkle sound as they were pulled from the stacks... they filled me with happiness every time they caught my eye and tempted my little fingers to grab them so I could examine them more closely.  I've been a kinesthetic, tactile person for, uh... forever. 

Now that I'm a librarian, I've learned how to cover books with the clear, crinkly stuff (thank you, Youtube video tutorials), and frankly (it should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me), it's one of my favorite things to do. Waiting to reshelve quarantined books and with my lesson plans already finished, I had time during prep this week to search the stacks for books in need of some rejuvenation. I inherited a collection full of books in need of repair (and weeding- oy vey), so it didn't take long for me to find some candidates:




Mangled, ripped, crushed, and missing corners and edges...


... now mended and protected enough to be used again, with that very appealing shine and sound!


Of course new-NEW books benefit from the same treatment:


Crafty-me really enjoys this part of my job.

Comments

Popular Posts