Hello, February!

I am trying to keep a promise to myself that I will only go back into work over the weekend one day per month... and yesterday was it for February, a little early.

While the age of our library doesn't bother me (it's thirty this year), its appearance isn't quite vintage nor retro, but it's certainly not as updated as it could be, either.  The slightly different arrangement of the moveable shelves and furniture that I worked on last summer still needs a little zhuzhing each month with color, texture, and of course, front-facing books so that the space remains engaging and inviting. 

Yesterday, down came the mittens and snowflakes, and up went the paper lanterns, hearts, joke books, silly stories, and lots of books for Black History, Valentine's Day, Groundhog Day, Dental Health, Chinese New Year, and Presidents' Day.


About five years ago, my husband gave me one-hundred little valentine ducks, red, pink and white, covered with hearts that my Super Star kindergarteners used for the 100th Day of School.  This year, they inspired the theme for the display case: We Love to Laugh, and These Books Really QUACK Us Up!





Pinks, reds, blue and white are brightening up our junior biography and fiction areas:








The creases and folds on this Tomie dePaola reading poster hint at the number of years I've been in education.


... and even Buffalo Brad (who's really an American Bison) has gotten in on the fun:


February is a short month, so I'll be seeking out spring inspiration soon, and shortly after that, I'll be approaching the end of my inaugural year as a (not really full-time) school librarian.  I love this space, I love welcoming readers into it.  I love that this library has been something that so many look forward to rather than another uncomfortable, stressful or dull experience to endure.  Decorations may seem trivial or low on the priority list to some, but in my mind and in others' hearts, they've really helped to define our space and its purpose. 

It's worth the extra time and effort.

Comments

Popular Posts