Bulletin Board: Black History Keywords

It's my first year as an elementary school librarian, and I was fortunate enough to have been able to lay claim to materials the former librarian had inherited from additional predecessors that weren't going to make the move with her.  As a kindergarten teacher, my students always created crafts, posters, and wonderful drawings for our thematic units of study, but as a soon-to-be librarian, I had nothing for Black History Month. 

Though I have admired many displays via social media that incorporate incredible artwork, dimension, and scale, it's just me, myself, and I who is able to maintain my library on a part-time schedule so smaller, simpler reading promotions provide balance for where I need to invest my time when updating monthly themes. Here are the posters I selected late last year, and the simple hallway display that I created over the weekend that combines incredible portrait posters full of quotes and information and simple keywords for students to use when they seek out additional content to learn more about Black History.






Though my display is extremely plain, I've already overheard important comments and discussions happening in the hallway as students and teachers pass by the posters and keywords that I arranged. I'm so pleased that they're finding the effort meaningful. My plan is to continue to update displays in and around the library so that information about diverse Americans continues to be available year-round, with spotlight displays complementing them as I continue to align our library standards with the academic needs and personal interests of our readers. 

Comments

Popular Posts