Signage, Signage, Signage

(If you don't know me personally, this reference should get you into the ballpark of how old I am.)

I seriously underestimated how much signage is needed in our library in order to make it navigable for not only myself but for students and staff who have already been putting it to good use.

Sure, there's the obvious stuff, like headers and signs on walls and bookcases marking the different sections in our collection, or the map that visually shows students the range of non-fiction numbers for each cabinet and marks helpful locations such as our book returns, the circulation desk, and our tornado shelter.  I purchased new Dewey signage for the shelves earlier this summer, too.  But even after printing and displaying additional posters that describe and anchor the spaces for our biographies, graphic novels, picture books,  etc., there has been still so much more signage to create.

This week started with signage to mark our quarantine carts so I'd remember when to reshelve items (you'd be proud: it only took me one student interaction before I realized that the carts needed to have their backs facing our open space so no one would be tempted to try to pull a desired book off of them):


I created the signs using Google Slides, printed and laminated them, and then used my hot glue gun to add a magnetic button to the back of each one.  If I'm able to have a parent volunteer join me to help with reshelving, the signage should make it very clear which books are ready to recirculate.




Then I created directions to remind all staff (not just teachers) how to let me know they've borrowed an item or several if I'm away from the library or teaching when they drop in. These can be found prominently displayed on the circulation desk.



My last bit of signage creation happened on Friday after I quickly realized that my center tubs weren't color-coded to our tables, which is necessary so I can keep track of which materials were used by specific cohorts of students.


I've figured out that the creation of signage will fill my seasons, months, weeks, and days this year.

Signs to encourage looks, signs to accompany books.  

Signs to elicit a laugh, signs in the form of a graph.  

Signs to show you what's here, signs to show you what's there.


Hopefully, I can laminate all of it.

Comments

Popular Posts