Utilizing Dead Space

 Ew. "Dead" space. 

"Unused" space... that sounds better, doesn't it?

At the back of the library where the reference section used to reside (until today), there is a long table that has been used as a computer station.  This space has been awkward for at least as long as I've been in the building... but not because of anything I did to it, I swear!

In this same space is a set of stairs that drops down and enters what was my remote learning kindergarten classroom from last year, and there's a green metal guardrail surrounding the steps to boot.  This isn't exactly an area where I want students playing or trying to hide.


I disconnected all of the cords and cleared off the computers:


... and then decided that the desk/table is going to go bye-bye because THIS space is now going to be the library's cart corral!  I have thirteen (or more, I've been losing count as I shuffle the entire collection) carts that usually end up filling the library media workroom, which isn't a great situation since the workroom is also one of our tornado shelters. Storing the carts neatly in this run of floor space once the table is removed will be a great solution for several problems. 

Hooray!
 


Students in our district have 1:1 devices, so the computer stations aren't necessary. Rethinking the library to improve flow (and hopefully increase use) is part of the investment of time I'm glad I'm able to make this summer.  May I admit something?  

These little problems are fun to figure out. 

Comments

Popular Posts