Library Refresh: Fabulous Finds

Becoming acquainted with my new teaching space, I've discovered some fabulous finds that elevate the filing cabinet in the office/book room from a simple set of drawers full of past years' inventory lists and book fair receipts to a real-life time capsule.

Exhibit A:  A book repair manual, seemingly rebound since I don't know why it wouldn't have a title or frankly any print anywhere on the cover.  Its pages are pristine, and it's the very first page that makes this a KEEPER:




At the bottom of the page is a tear-off/mail-in coupon to be used to request a copy of the DEMCO catalog... the 1969-1970 edition!  I *cough cough* was born in 1969, so this treasure is older than me!

Exhibit B: Amongst the plethora of user manuals for digital cameras, television sets, VCRs, DVD players, overhead projectors, and CD players, these two essentials of days past were hard to miss.


That's right, "Laservision" and Selectric II typewriter manuals. Folks, there was half a box of correcting tape ribbons for the Selectric II in one of the office cabinets.

The Selectric II was introduced in 1973. 

N-I-N-E-T-E-E-N  S-E-V-E-N-T-Y  T-H-R-E-E.

These items were discarded by me, as I thankfully couldn't pair them with a laserdisc player or typewriter.

*****

Now might be a good time to let you know that, after several military household moves over the past eighteen years and two full-classroom moves in the past two years, I'm in the habit of donating, selling, or tossing items that I don't find necessary or relevant.  Just because four prior librarians (possibly more) saved the bulk of what I had to sort through two weeks ago, doesn't mean I was inclined to do so. 

I feel not one ounce of guilt or worry after having looked through it all, determining what would be helpful as I make the space my own to benefit my colleagues, our students, and our community.  I feel good knowing that the books from my personal classroom collection, built over twenty-five years as a kindergarten teacher, are going to be put to good use by others, and I'm glad to be able to share and donate other classroom materials to colleagues who can engage and support students with them.  Just as I did when I first began teaching, It's possible that I am bound to make any new colleagues who might be more inclined to keep or "save" every item, um.... uncomfortable, but for me, change is necessary as well as inevitable, and I intend to continue to embrace it.

*****

Seriously, how awesome is the DEMCO repair manual?!

... and what's the most fabulous find you've discovered in your library?


Comments

  1. You can add editor to your title! Congrats on wrangling this library into shape!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts